Individual Data Storage (P:)
Windows: (My) Computer > P: when logged into the network.
Mac users: Finder > Go > Connect to Server ; type smb://titan.tccs.tufts.edu/tufts-username.
Sometimes referred to as your individual drive or home share, your P: drive is a private data storage area on the Tufts network that no one but you can access. When you have a wireless or cable connection to the Tufts network, you can drag and drop files to your P: drive, create folders, and use it as a “Save as …” location the same way you work with files and directories on your computer’s C: drive, an external hard drive, or USB thumb drive.
Your P: drive is an excellent location for any documentation or images that needs to be edited or retrieved from multiple locations. Benefits of P: drive storage include:
- Drive quota (size) for faculty and staff is set to 4 GB; student quota is 2 GB
- Nightly backup of all data located on the P: drive
- Your P: drive data is accessible from any active Internet connection via Tufts VPN
- Privacy and security – only you can access your P: drive
To access your P: drive, you must log in to the Tufts network or Tufts VPN with a valid Tufts Username and Tufts Password.
Individual Drive (P:) Access on Windows Computers
Windows computers automatically connect and “map” your P: drive whenever you log in to the Tufts network with your Tufts Username and Tufts Password. To open it and store or retrieve files, open (My) Computer and select P: .
You can also access your P: drive by typing \\titan\tufts-username into the Address bar of a folder window and pressing <Enter>.
Individual Drive (P:) Access on a Mac
Unlike Windows users, Mac users don’t automatically mount (map) their Tufts network drives when they connect to the network, so Mac users need to have the path to their network drive added to the Favorite Servers list.
Your IT Support organization may have added your drive locations when you received your new Mac. To check, open the Finder and select Go > Connect to Server.
- If you see a saved server path that ends with your Tufts Username, select it and click Connect to login and mount your P: drive.
- If no server paths are set, type smb://titan.tccs.tufts.edu/tufts-username in the Server Address: field and click Connect.
- If you are unsure of your Tufts Username (UTLN), place a request with TechConnect or call 617-627-3376 and tell IT Support that you need help mapping your network P: drive on your Mac.
Individual Drive (P:) Access via Tufts VPN (Windows and Mac users)
Tufts Virtual Private Network (VPN) provides secure access to all of your network drives from any location with an active Internet connection.
- Browse to https://vpn.tufts.edu and log in with your Tufts Username and Tufts Password.
- When the Tufts VPN Home page opens, locate and click the P-drive link.
To learn more about Tufts VPN and the more robust mini application, VPN Network Connect, see Tufts VPN.