The Design Practice exists to make the academic and professional lives of students, faculty, and staff simpler, more satisfying, and more productive. Knowledge areas of service design, design thinking, user experience design, enterprise architecture, and software development combine to frame and solve critical and complex problems, and deliver compelling solutions and engaging experiences. Our innovative and human-centered processes encompass the entire user journey resulting in a coordinated, satisfying, and differentiated Tufts experience.
- Design Thinking Consultation: We partner with a broad range of clients across the university to help them better understand the problems they are trying to solve; devise solutions that better meet their needs; enhance cohesion, collaboration, and creativity in their teams; plan strategically, and realize shared vision. Recent examples include support for interdisciplinary research in the Research & Scholarship Strategic Planning Initiative, Team Science support for grant applications, and business process design in Tufts Shared Services.
- Service Enhancement: Our team takes a collaborative approach to improving the user experience and augmenting the functionality of existing services or applications.
- Technology Strategy Consultation: Our enterprise architects help clients think through thorny technology application and integration issues.
- Design Thinking Workshop: We empower teams to create services and products users will love and to expand their capacity for innovating by teaching them the fundamental processes, frameworks, and methodologies of human-centered design. Past workshop participants have included: TTS, Tisch Library, University Advancement, and University Communications & Marketing.
- Service Innovation: We deploy our full spectrum of talents in user experience, service design, visual design, architecture and software development to change the way the university delivers service and/or reach new audiences. The design and development of AccessTufts, and contributions to ExploreTufts, serve as recent examples.
- Service & UX Design
- Design Thinking
- Enterprise Architecture
- Solution Design