Tufts Owned or Managed Computers
Tufts provides antivirus software for all university-owned or Tufts-managed computers. If your Tufts-configured or managed computer does not have antivirus installed or if you have a question about the antivirus software, call the TTS Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or email email@example.com.
It is critical that faculty, staff, and students make sure that antivirus software is installed and running properly on their personal computers. There are a number of antivirus options that are free and for purchase.
- Trend Micro: faculty, staff, and students may purchase a version of Trend Micro through the university at a discount. Instructions are located at https://access.tufts.edu/antivirus.
- Other inexpensive or free antivirus options: Many of the vendors listed below offer both a free version and a paid version of their software. We suggest you download or buy these directly from the vendor’s site or through a reputable store such as Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Make sure that when downloading software, the website is a trusted site like download.cnet.com, support.apple.com or the primary vendor.
Some free and for-purchase antivirus options:
- Avast www.Avast.com
- AVG www.AVG.com
- Avira www.Avira.com
- Bitdefender www.Bitdefender.com
- Malwarebytes www.malwarebytes.com
- McAfee www.mcafee.com
- Panda www.pandasecurity.com
- Sophos www.Sophos.com
- Symantec Norton www.Norton.com
Antivirus for Phones & Tablets
There are antivirus applications that can be loaded on phones and tablets. Always purchase these products through vendor-approved and tested phone/tablet software sites.
To find antivirus software for your devices, we recommend you look at options listed in these locations:
- iOS/Apple devices: iTunes, Apple App Store, or www.apple.com
- Android/Google devices: Google Play Store play.google.com/store
- Windows devices: www.microsoftstore.com
Choosing an Antivirus Product
With numerous choices for antivirus products it can seem overwhelming to make a decision, and not all products maintain their effectiveness. When choosing between different antivirus products, consider things like your operating system, budget, extra features, and ease of use. In addition to the vendor sites, here are some other websites to consider for information.
- AV Test
- The best antivirus software for Android (https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/mobile-devices/android/)
- The best antivirus software for Windows Home User (https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/)
- 12 Security Suites for Mac OS X (https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/12-security-suites-for-mac-os-x-put-to-the-test/)