Office 365 Email SetupOffice 365 Email Setup
Below are instructions for setting up your Tufts email on personal computers and mobile devices (e.g. smartphones and tablets).
Note for Students: Students who will be graduating can keep their @tufts.edu email address by having incoming email forwarded to a personal account. To send your @tufts.edu email to a personal account, follow the step-by-step instructions on the Forwarding Your Tufts Email page. If you will be graduating soon, you should also forward a copy of any emails that you want to keep to your personal account. They will be deleted from Tufts’ servers after you graduate.
Email on Your Computer
The Office 365 web client allows you to manage your email, calendar, and more without downloading an application. Everything is done through your browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, etc.)
Accessing the Office 365 Web Client
1. Go to outlook.office365.com.
2. Enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu).
3. Click Next. You will be brought to a Tufts login screen.
4. Provide your Tufts username (e.g. jjumbo01) and password.
5. Click Sign In. You may be asked to complete Duo two-factor authentication.
Microsoft Outlook, along with the other Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) can be downloaded from the Office 365 website. With your Tufts credentials, you can download Office on up to 5 computers AND 5 mobile devices for free!
This section includes directions for downloading the Office applications and setting up Outlook with your Tufts email address on both Windows and Mac computers. If you are on a Tufts computer and you would like TTS support personnel to download and install your Office software or if you do not have the administrative access needed to install software on your desktop or laptop computer, please call the TTS Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or email email@example.com for assistance.
Downloading the Office Apps for Your Computer
1. Visit login.microsoftonline.com.
2. On the sign in page, enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu).
3. Click Next. You will be brought to a Tufts login page.
4. Enter your Tufts username (e.g. jjumbo01) and password.
5. Click Sign in.
6. Click the Install Office button. A dropdown menu will open.
7. Select Office 365 apps.
8. Download the installer to your computer.
9. Open the installer file and follow the step-by-step directions.
10. When the installation is complete, you'll see the following screen. Press Close at the bottom of the screen.
11. If you use a PC, follow the set-up instructions in the section immediately below: "Setting up the Outlook Desktop App (Windows)".
If you use a MacBook or iMac, scroll down to "Setting up the Outlook Desktop App (macOS)" and resume following the setup instructions there.
Setting up the Outlook Desktop App (Windows)
1. Open the Outlook desktop application. The account setup wizard will appear.
2. Click Next.
3. You will be asked if you want to connect an email account. Select Yes.
4. Click Next.
5. Make sure the E-mail Account option is selected.
6. Provide your name, Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu), and Tufts password.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Allow.
9. A Windows Security login window will appear. Provide your Tufts username in the format "firstname.lastname@example.org" (e.g. email@example.com) and password.
10. Click OK. You may also need to complete Duo two-factor authentication.
11. When your account is done configuring, click Finish.
Setting up the Outlook Desktop App (macOS)
1. From Finder, open the Outlook desktop application.
2. Outlook will open to a Welcome to Outlook window. Click on Get started.
3. You will be asked to sign in to activate your Office license. Click on Sign in.
4. You’ll be brought to a sign in page. Enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu) and click Next.
5. Enter your Tufts username in the format firstname.lastname@example.org (e.g. email@example.com) and enter your password. Click on Sign In.
6. You will be prompted to authenticate using DUO two-factor authentication.
7. After authentication, you will see the following screen. Click on Start Using Outlook.
8. Outlook will locate your email account. Click the Add firstname.lastname@example.org button.
9. You’ll be given the option to use Outlook with other email accounts. Click Done to begin using your Tufts email account on your MacBook or iMac.
The instructions below are for those who have been provisioned Tufts email accounts that they wish to access using the Mac mail application, “Mail.”
- Open System Preferences and choose Internet Accounts. Click on Exchange on the right-hand side of the screen.
- You will be prompted to enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu). Enter it and click Sign In.
- You will be asked if you want to sign into Exchange using Microsoft. Click on Sign In.
- After clicking Sign In, you will be brought to a Tufts University login screen. For the username, enter your Tufts email address using the format Tufts email@example.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) and enter your password. Click Sign in.
- You will then be prompted for DUO authentication.
- After accepting the DUO push, System Preferences will give you an opportunity to choose Apple apps you want to synchronize with your Exchange account. Once you’ve made your selection, press Done.
- Open the Mail app on your iMac or MacBook to begin using your Tufts O365 Mail account.
Email on iPhones and iPads (iOS and iPadOS)
If you do not have a passcode set up on your iOS or iPadOS device, please do so before proceeding with email setup.
1. Open your device’s Settings application.
2. Tap Face ID & Passcode.
3. Tap Turn Passcode On.
4. Enter a passcode, then re-enter it to confirm.
5. Go back into Settings.
6. Tap Display & Brightness.
7. Tap Auto-Lock.
8. Select an amount of time for the auto-lock.
1. Search for Microsoft Outlook in the App Store.
2. Download the Outlook app.
3. Tap the Outlook icon to open the app.
4. In the Add Account page, enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu).
5. Tap the Add Account button.
6. A Tufts login page will load. Enter your Tufts username (e.g. jjumbo01) and password.
7. Tap Sign in. You may have to complete Duo two-factor authentication.
- Open the Settings application on your device.
- Scroll down and tap Mail.
- Tap Accounts.
- Tap Add Account.
- Select Microsoft Exchange. (Do NOT select the Outlook.com option.)
- To begin adding your Exchange account, you will be asked for the following:
- Email – Enter your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu).
- Description – This field will automatically populate with the word “Exchange”. If you’d like, you can replace it with something more descriptive, such as “Tufts Email”.
- Tap Next.
- A confirmation window will appear asking if you wish to sign in to your “tufts.edu” Exchange account using Microsoft. Tap Sign In.
- A Tufts login window will load.
- Erase the pre-populated email address from the first field.
- Enter your Tufts username (e.g. jjumb01).
- Enter your Tufts password.
- Click Sign in.
- Complete DUO two-factor authentication.
- Determine what applications/data you would like to sync through this account.
- Tap Save.
Backing up Your Phone
Performing regular backups ensures that you won’t lose personal and professional data if something happens to your device. With Apple’s iCloud backup, you get 5GB of remote backup storage space for free. You can also buy more storage space if necessary. For more information, visit the Apple iCloud support page.
Remotely Wiping Your Device
A lost or stolen device poses a security risk for you and the University. With iCloud, users of Apple devices can remotely locate and wipe their devices and minimize that risk. To activate this capability on for your device, enable the Find My iPhone feature in the device’s settings. For more information on how to enable and use this feature, visit the Apple Find My iPhone support page.
Email on Android
If you do not have a passcode set up on your Android device, please do so before proceeding with email setup.
Note: There are various versions of the Android operating systems, so the steps for your device may be slightly different.
1. From your home screen, tap the Menu button.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Scroll down until you find Security or Security and Screen Lock and tap it. This is typically located under the Personal section.
4. Under Screen Security, tap Screen Lock.
5. In the Choose a Screen Lock section, select which type of password you would like to use:
- Pattern - Sets an unlock screen which requires the user to draw a specific pattern between 9 on-screen points.
- PIN - Sets an unlock screen requiring the user to enter a numeric code.
- Password - Sets an unlock screen that requires entering an alphanumeric password (numbers, letters, and symbols).
6. Re-enter your Pattern/Pin/Password to verify.
1. Search for Microsoft Outlook in the Google Play Store.
2. Download the Outlook app.
3. Open the Outlook application.
4. Tap More > Settings > Add Account > Add Email Account. Otherwise, tap Get Started.
5. In the first field, type your Tufts email address (e.g. John.Jumbo@tufts.edu).
6. In the next page, enter your Tufts username (e.g. jjumbo01) and password.
7. Tap Log in. You may need to complete Duo two-factor authentication.
8. Select Yes to let the app access your information.
Backing Up Your Phone
Performing regular backups ensures that you won’t lose personal and professional data if something happens to your device. The process for doing this varies by device and by the version of Android it is running. Visit the Android Help Center for more information on how to back up or restore data on your Android device.
Remotely Wiping Your Device
A lost or stolen device poses a security risk for you and the University. Users of Android devices can remotely locate and wipe their devices and minimize that risk. Visit the Google Account Help Center for more information on how to find, lock, or erase a lost Android device.