Mass Email Distribution (Elist)
Elist is an email list subscription, creation, and administration service tool that is used to send an email with one custom-created address to all of the list subscribers. Use it to create lists for project teams, alert notifications, class communication, to communicate with users of a specific Tufts resource, and anything else you can think of.
- Emails can be sent to the list from Outlook or any other email application
- Guests and non-tufts users can be invited to join by the list administrator
- Lists creation available to faculty, staff, researchers, and students
- List participation is open to all via invitation and approval
- Announcement-only and private-group list options available
- Login to Elist with a valid Tufts Username and Tufts Password
- Clinical affiliates and guests by invitation
Browse to http://elist.tufts.edu and login with your Tufts Username and Tufts Password. Once you’ve logged in, you can browse the collection of existing lists and subscribe to some, create a new list, or administer the lists you own.
Locate the list by browsing the Mailing lists categories on the Home page or click the Lists of lists tab in the page header to view all lists with an option to browse alphabetically.
- Public-discussion mailing lists can be joined by anyone
- Announcement-only and private working group lists are typically closed. If you have questions, contact the list owner or moderator.
If you see a list you’d like to subscribe to, select it and click Subscribe on the left side of the window. Once you’ve joined a list, you can click Unsubscribe to stop receiving emails.
For more information about posting to lists, see Tufts Elist: Using Mailing Lists (PDF).
- To create a list, click the Create list tab. The three list types will be displayed. To learn more about the best choice for your needs, see the Elist Tip Sheet (PDF).
- In the List name field, type the list name using all lowercase letters.
Note: If you include an illegal character in a list name, such as the ampersand (&), you will have to retype it. Do not use periods or spaces in the list name.
- Select a list type.
- Type the subject of your mailing list. The subject appears under the list name in the list of lists as a reference.
- In the Topics field, click the down-arrow and select a topic that best describes your list.
- Next, type a description of your mailing list.
- Click the Submit your creation request button.
Your newly submitted mailing list will not appear on the Tufts Elist homepage until it has been validated by the Tufts administrator. You will be sent an email notification when the list is activated. Remember to subscribe to your own list to receive posts.