Learn about 2FA
Two-factor authentication (2FA) adds a second layer of security for your Tufts Username by requiring:
- Something you know (your Tufts Username and Password), and
- Something you have (a physical device, like your phone)
In order to use 2FA, you will need to enroll at least one device. We recommend you have a minimum of two devices enrolled. You can enroll a smart phone, a tablet, a landline (office or home phone), or a basic cell phone/flip phone.
What to expect once you've set up two-factor authentication
Once you enroll in 2FA, you will see an extra page after you log into certain web applications. This page prompts you to verify your identity on the device you enrolled. If you do not have your default device available, you also have the option of using another device that you have previously set up.
The frequency that you are asked to authenticate on your default device varies, depending upon:
- the website you log into
- whether or not you use the trusted browser feature
- whether or not you use more than one computer and web browser (The trusted browser feature is for each computer and each browser you use to access protected websites)
- your individual browser settings (whether or not you clear cookies)