A link or relationship in Elements is simply a way of connecting an item to a profile or connecting one item to another item that it is related to.
When you add a new item (eg. publication, grant, etc.) to your profile, a link is automatically created between that item and yourself as the user. For example, a publication titled “Tufts FIS User Guide” is shown below. Under the Relationships tab for that item, there is a link to the author.
You also have the option to link yourself to an item that is already in the Elements system, but not a part of your profile yet. This is useful if you have collaborated on something with another faculty member and they have already created an item related to that collaboration in their profile. By linking yourself to that item, it also becomes a part of your profile.
Finally, Elements allows you to create links between two or more items that are already in your profile. This allows you to show the relationships between items. For example, you may want to show that a particular publication was funded by one of the grants you were awarded.
Faculty members often collaborate on publications, grants, teaching activities, and professional activities. When this happens, one person can create a record of that collaboration in Elements and other faculty members can simply link to it. Creating that link will add it to their profiles.
- Log in to faculty.tufts.edu with your Tufts username (e.g. jjumbo01) and password.
- Click EDIT MY PROFILE.
- Click on View all links on the right-hand side of the page.
- Click on the Create Links dropdown menu and select the type of item you want to create a link to (publication, grant, etc.).
- In the Link type dropdown menu, choose the nature of your link to the item. In this example, we are creating a link to a publication and specifying that we are an author of that paper.
- In the Search text box, enter search terms that will identify the item you want to link to.
- Click the Search button.
- Click on the box to the left of the item that you would like to create the link to. Then, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save. The item will now be linked to your profile.
When creating links between items in this way, the items must already exist in your profile. If they don’t, you have to create the items first before you can link them.
- Find one of the items that you would like to create the link for and click on the Relationships tab to open it. Then, click the Add button.
- A menu will appear. Select the type of item you wish to link to (e.g. a grant).
- A new page will load. On the left, you will see the item that you are generating the link for. On the right, you will see items that you can link to.
- Select the item(s) on the right that you would like to link to, then click the Create one new link button.
- Returning to the original item will now show the new link/relationship that was created, which can be edited or deleted.