A New Integrated IT Service and Support Model for the Medford Campus
On February 1, Tufts will begin implementing an integrated IT support model and service experience for the Medford campus that reflects the critical and strategic importance of technology in education, research and administration. Moving forward, Information Technology Services (ITS) and University Information Technology (UIT) will become one organization called Tufts Technology Services (TTS), and TTS will be the primary IT service provider for the Medford community.
This integrated model is a direct result of feedback and data that we have received. Over the past year, the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, and the Office of the Vice President for Information Technology & CIO have collaboratively solicited information and feedback from the Medford campus community and IT staff in an effort to create a plan to strengthen organizational connections between ITS and UIT. In addition to input we received from the Tufts community, we engaged a consulting firm to provide an external assessment and set of recommendations.
Both the University and information technology have changed significantly over time; much can now be gained by creating a more integrated approach to IT service and support. As we embarked on this process, we defined eight goals that guided our decision making:
- Make it easy and convenient for faculty, students, and staff to access Tufts’ IT services.
- Simplify internal operations by defining shared standards, policies, practices, and processes.
- Reduce support complexity and accelerate responsive IT service development by establishing campus-wide technology and support standards.
- Increase strategic investment by reducing costs associated with delivering commodity services.
- Coordinate IT planning by leveraging IT advisory and governance committees.
- Foster an awareness and effective use of technology through community engagement, education, and training.
- Create opportunities for IT professionals to develop deep expertise, share knowledge and apply new skills in support of Tufts’ mission.
- Advance service excellence by redefining core IT services aligned with Tufts’ needs and priorities.
Tony Sulprizio, Director of ITS, now joins UIT directors, Mark Damian, Dawn Irish, Angie Milonas, Theresa Regan, Gina Siesing, Chuck Young, and Lionel Zupan, in defining and implementing new approaches to IT service management and delivery. Tony will assume the role of Director of Client Support Services for Tufts Technology Services reporting to me, and will oversee the delivery of integrated support services for TTS.
We will streamline communication channels and simplify our processes to make it easy for Medford campus faculty, students, and staff to access and use the IT tools and services available to them. Changes will be implemented over time, beginning February 1, and we will communicate with the Medford campus community about significant TTS updates as we move through this process. For now, the way you interact with IT will remain the same; please continue to solicit support for your IT needs in the way that you are accustomed. As a first step, we have created a new, integrated website that consolidates information from ITS and UIT into one location. Please feel free to visit us at http://it.tufts.edu/ (this site). Ultimately, this site is intended as a portal to all available technology-related services at the University. New services and information are being added every day, so check back often.
This is an important and exciting time for Tufts. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Vice President for Information Technology & CIO
169 Holland Street
Somerville, MA 02144