Name Changes

Learn about what qualifies for a legal name change versus a preferred name change and the steps you need to take at Tufts University.

  1. Legal name change initiated after you have already changed your government name. Requires proof of the change in the form of a signed copy of your social security card, a passport, court-issued document showing the new and old names, etc.
  2. Preferred name change to use a first name that is different from your legal first name. Not all systems can be changed when using a preferred name. For example, changes will update class and grade rosters but will not update records where a legal name is required, as on financial documents.


Rate this: 
Average: 5 (3 votes)