Cisco Jabber Upgrade to 11.9.1 Includes A Number of Enhancements
Tufts Cisco Jabber lets you access chat (instant messaging), voice, video, video messaging, desktop sharing, and conferencing to see if and how people are available, and collaborate using your preferred method.
Effective October 27, Tufts Technology Services (TTS) upgraded Cisco Jabber to version 11.9.1.
The new version includes enhancements both for Mac and Windows users, improvements in security and the overall user experience.
New features include:
- A faster and automated login process – All jabber related services start much quicker as users will only be prompted to enter their username and password if their credentials have been changed or expired.
- New animated emoticons – Jabber now offers 18 animated emoticons as well as additional static emoji.
- Encrypted user data – Data such as contacts, chat history, call logs, favorites, and user credentials are encrypted providing enhanced security in the event of a malware attack, security breach, and/or loss of a device.
- Add, Chat and Call Options in Search Results – When you hover your cursor over a searched contact, you can now view add, chat and call options If the searched contact is in your contact list already, it will return just call and chat options. (Macintosh)
- Integration with Outlook – Jabber is now integrated with Outlook for Mac (v. 15.22 and above) enabling features such as Click-to-Call, Click-to-Chat, and view the presence status. (New for Macintosh. Windows users already have this feature)
- Integration with WebEx Training and Event Center Support – Jabber now allows for listing of the Training and Event Center as well as the Meeting Center; enabling you to start/join any available meeting directly from Jabber. (Windows only)
What to expect
The new version will be pushed out to the community beginning on Monday, October 30.
If you are on a Tufts managed machine connected to the network, you should receive the new version via this push:
- Windows managed machines will see the updated version the next time they start up their Windows operating system
- Mac managed machines will see the new version once they close Jabber and relaunch it (you will not need to shutdown and restart your machine)
If you are using a machine that is not managed by Tufts and do not receive push updates, you will need to download and install the new version:
Updates for Jabber for mobile devices can be obtained from the Apple and Android app stores.
Please refer to the TTS website for more information about Cisco Jabber.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the TTS Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or email@example.com.