Cisco Jabber introduces New Features with Release 11.8
Tufts Cisco Jabber lets you access chat (instant messaging), voice, video, video messaging, desktop sharing, and conferencing to see if and how people are available, and collaborate using your preferred method.
Effective March 17, Tufts Technology Services (TTS) upgraded Cisco Jabber to version 11.8.
This new version will make it easier for the community who are using Cisco Jabber for chat as well as for those departments who have transitioned to Voice Over IP (VoIP) for calling. New features include:
- A new user interface (the blue ribbon on the side now appears white with new icons for navigation)
- Improved interface for group chat including chat rooms for Mac users
- Enhancements to Mobile version to align features across all devices (Mac and Windows)
- Status is now customizable for both Mac and Windows
- Smart word recognition in Directory and chat rooms
- Improved audio quality which minimizes background noise when on a call (Windows users)
- Enables importing of contacts from Gmail and Outlook (Windows users)
What to expect
The new version will be pushed out to the community beginning on Monday, March 27.
If you are on a Tufts managed machine connected to the network, you should receive the new version via this push:
- Windows managed machines will see the updated version the next time they start up their Windows operating system
- Mac managed machines will see the new version once they close Jabber and relaunch it (you will not need to shutdown and restart your machine)
If you are using a machine that is not managed by Tufts and do not receive push updates, you will need to download and install the new version:
Updates for Jabber for mobile devices can be obtained from the Apple and Android app stores.
Please refer to the TTS website for more information about Cisco Jabber.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact the TTS Service Desk at 617-627-3376 or email@example.com.