Applications Open for Fall 2013 "iPads for Education Pilot"
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is glad to announce that the application process is now open for Fall 2013 participation in the "iPads for Education Pilot." Launched in Fall 2012, the goal of this pilot is to leverage iPads to promote active learning and student engagement in Tufts classes.
For Fall 2013, we are most interested in partnering with classes seeking to implement a flipped classroom model AND/OR medium- to large-sized lecture classes (40~75 students), and we are committed to working with instructors to gather empirical data on student outcomes and/or instructor change. Ideally, this work would include measurement or observational methods that compare student performance or instructor change data from two different classes (eg. comparing data with a prior or concurrent class that is taught with and without the iPad). That said, we will consider applications from any interested faculty, regardless of whether your teaching context matches the characteristics above. We have approximately 75 iPads that are available for loan in total.
Faculty participating in the pilot will need to agree to:
- Fill out the application https://tufts.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0pPIRaxo8tIDKuN by midnight on Sunday, June 30, 2013.
- Work with staff from TTS ESTS staff and/or CELT staff on course re-design to clarify learning outcomes and incorporate iPad-based activities (prep work needs to start well in advance of course start date, ~2 days total prep time).
- Provide all data to satisfy the agreed upon study design (to be determined collaboratively).
- Agree to work with ESTS to meet Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements for yourself and your students.
- Commit to helping see that all loaner equipment is returned in good working order and in a timely manner at the end of the pilot.
Learn more about the iPads for Education Pilot at http://go.tufts.edu/ipadpilot
To learn more about the Flipped Classroom model referenced above go to: