What is Geneious Prime?
Geneious Prime is a bioinformatics software platform with a user-friendly interface. Tufts has a site license from March 27, 2020 – March 27, 2021 which is expected to be renewed. The software is available for Mac, Windows and Linux platforms.
What are the major features of Geneious Prime?
- Molecular Cloning and Primer Design
- NGS Analysis and Genomics
- Multiple Alignments
- De Novo Assembly
- Expression Analysis
How Do I Install Geneious Prime?
Option 1: Contact the Tufts Technology Service Desk
The Service Desk can help with installation and activation. Please submit a request to Tufts Technology Services by emailing email@example.com or calling 617-627-3376.
Option 2: Self service
If you have admin access to your computer and wish to install and activate Geneious yourself, please follow these steps:
- Make sure you are connected to the Tufts network, either on campus of via VPN
- Download and install the most recent version of Geneious Prime (available for Mac, Linux and Windows)
- A window will appear to install FLEXNet, which is the license manager. Click “install FLEXNet”
- Run Geneious Prime and, when requested to activate, select the “Activate a License” option.
- Provide your Tufts email address
- Select the “License Server” option and enter values License server and port
- License server: lm01.uit.tufts.edu
- Port: 51,011
- Select OK. This will activate the license on your machine.
* NOTE: An offline license key will be provided until August 1, 2020, after which a license server will be available which requires the Tufts network. Users that had previously been using the offline license should follow the either Options 1 or 2 above.
Tufts users are encouraged to reach out to the Geneious support team for both technical and scientific questions regarding Geneious use.
Research Technology staff are also available for questions and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org