Promote information independence by separating data from the programs that use the data.
Information independence helps to ensure its integrity, consistency, security and availability.
- Information should be made available via a centrally managed resource.
- For content this would be some form of content management system.
- For structured data and some unstructured data this would be a data warehouse.
- Consumers of information are able to access it through standardized interfaces from these centralized sources.
- Information should be kept in synch between the sources and the centrally managed resource.