Projects must be actively and appropriately managed regardless of size.
Well-managed projects help to ensure solutions are on time and on budget with minimal risks, and meet or exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Medium and large projects should have dedicated project managers whose primary focus is on successfully achieving a project’s stated objectives.
- Project managers must have the required experience and skillsets and be given the authority to properly perform their roles.
- Technical staff must have the required skills and training and sufficient capacity to do their assigned project work.
- Projects should follow PM best practices including but not limited to these:
- Adhere to the guiding principles when making decisions.
- Divide projects lasting more than a year into phases.
- Identify specific project roles with clearly defined responsibilities.
- Document functional and technical specifications and testing plans.
- Conduct post mortem reviews and communicate lessons learned.