Data recovery is the process of extracting and recovering data (files) from a computer whose hard drive has failed.
Technology Services provides a “best-effort” data recovery service for student and university owned computers on the Medford campus. Although this process often proves successful, pro-active backup of files to secure network or external drive locations is highly encouraged.
- Best-effort attempt to recover data, dependent on state of the device
- Multiple software tools employed to assist in recovery
- When attempts prove unsuccessful, guidance on available external vendors and costs is provided
If you need help with data recovery, contact Technology Services through one of these options:
- Call: 617-627-3376
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact Information Security before requesting data recovery assistance for computers that were used to process Tufts University personnel, financial, or student records
Protecting Personal Information
If your hard drive contains files that are defined as personal information by the Massachusetts State Laws and Regulations, please call 617-627-6070 to determine the best course of action.
M.G.L. Ch. 93H defines "personal information" as an individual’s name in combination with any of the following:
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s License Number
- State Identification Card Number
- Financial Account Number, credit or debit card number