Checklist for Securing Your Personal Devices
- Create a different password for your Tufts account and don't save in any web browser
- Change it immediately, if you think your Tufts password may have been compromised https://tuftstools.tufts.edu
- Two-factor Authentication (2FA) - Enroll and Use 2FA https://access.tufts.edu/software/2fa
- Screen Savers - Activate automatic screen savers and set for 10-minutes or less
- Tufts Secure Wireless - only use the Tufts_Secure network for WiFi
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) - Use Tufts VPN for secure off-campus access to Tufts services https://access.tufts.edu/software/vpn
- Antivirus - Install antivirus software, and enable automatic scan https://access.tufts.edu/software/antivirus
- Auto-updates - Set Operating System (OS), web browsers and key applications to auto-update and restart your deice daily
- Back-up - Back-up data in a location off of your device. You can use Tufts Box https://tufts.box.com
- Encryption Enable vendors - default hard disk encryption
5 Basic Rules for Securing your Devices
In an article entitled "Why Privacy is Essential to Security", Susan Landau, Bridge Professor of Cyber Security and Policy, Fletcher School of Law & Diplomacy and School of Engineering, talks about how maintaining privacy can also help maintain security. She includes these 5 easy tips (which dovetail with our checklist above) for protecting your devices.
Accept automatic updates for everything you use. “Don’t say I’m too busy now—just do it.”
Think before you click on a link or open an attachment—that’s the way most cyberexploits work.
Use two-factor authentication to log in to online accounts. Avoid text messages as a second factor; attackers can intercept them.
Be very careful about browsing on public Wi-Fi. Use a VPN.
Activate features such as Find My iPhone and an automatic Activation Lock, which prevents Find My iPhone from being shut off by thieves. It’s possible to circumvent such protections, but they have dramatically reduced theft of smartphones and, with it, theft of digital identities.